Sunday, October 5, 2008

practice makes more practice...




so in an effort to get my creative juices flowing, i scanned a whole bunch of sketches that i had in my sketchbook onto my computer so i can work on them in photoshop and illustrator in hopes that some of them turn into actual finished pieces...here's to hoping...

and here's a real inspiring story that i take to heart and how i have to force myself to look at things in order to feel better about my art and myself as an artist...anywho, here it goes: while reading the recent issue of SCBWI magazine (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, September/October '08 edition) i came across an article about John Rocco, the author/illustrator of "Wolf! Wolf!" (great book, btw...it's already in my reference library...great illustrations!) Towards the end of the piece, it talks about how he became friends with Maurice Sendak and the most inspiring piece of advice that he had for Rocco if he ever got stuck: "Don't draw for the publisher," Sendak told him, "or for the author or even for the kids. Draw what you want to draw and if you like it, others will like it too."

For me, that is definitely words to live by...i'm already stuck in the mud as it is, trying to get a decent out-of-school portfolio going...and the pressure of trying to get somewhere and make a name for myself is a heavy load, indeed...so i'll leave it at that...if you like my stuff, then thank you...i appreciate it...if you don't, then you are entitled to your opinion...but i'm drawing for myself and my happiness...and that's all that matters...

No comments: